Jayne Jennings is the principal of JJ Strategic Consulting, a results-focused tourism consultancy
specialising in sustainable tourism and business development, including strategic tourism planning
and implementation, communications, engagement, project management, accreditation
and award application processes and product development.
Jayne has over 20 years of experience in local government, national and regional tourism organisations
in Australia and New Zealand where she has been responsible for delivering strategic tourism plans,
industry capacity building initiatives and developing effective documents for target audiences.
She is highly skilled in taking a strategic view of a situation, and identifying and communicating
critical issues and opportunities to achieve the desired outcome for stakeholders.
Most recently, Jayne’s tourism consultancy has been responsible for developing a program
to enhance the quality of the service experience for visitors to the Gold Coast in the lead up
to and beyond the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games. Previously, she determined the strategic
direction for the future of the accredited Visitor Information Centre network in Australia and Queensland,
and developed discussion papers for public consultation on national park assets. Prior to forming
JJ Strategic Consulting, Jayne was the Manager of Industry Innovation for Tourism and Events Queensland
where she was instrumental in introducing a sustainable regions program across Queensland, and supporting
the tourism industry to become China ready.
Jayne partners with other tourism, business and environmental experts as required to deliver the best outcome for clients.
Specific projects and experience include:
- Developed a Customer Service Plan and pilot programs for the Gold Coast, an
Embracing 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games legacy project to enhance the
service culture of the tourism and hospitality industry, for Queensland Tourism Industry Council,
the Queensland Government, City of Gold Coast and Gold Coast Tourism
- Undertook a strategic review of the provision of free Wi-Fi access for visitors and mapped
existing Wi-Fi hotspots across Queensland for the Department of Tourism, Major Events, Small Business>
and the Commonwealth Games
- Developed strategic directions papers for Queensland national park assets (Mon Repos Turtle Centre,
David Fleay Wildlife Park, Walkabout Creek Visitor Centre) for the Department of National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing
- Undertook a strategic review of the future of the accredited visitor information centre network in
Queensland and prepared a directions paper and discussion paper for Tourism and Events Queensland
- Produced a strategic directions paper for the future of Australia’s accredited visitor information centres
for all states and territories
- Developed a planning template for major events from acquisition to activation for Tourism and Events Queensland
- Facilitated the delivery of a sustainable regions project across four regions in Queensland
- Developed the Queensland Ecotourism Plan (from first draft) for the Department of National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing
- Developed the first Sustainable Tourism Directions Paper (with action plan) for Geelong Otway region for Geelong Otway Tourism
- Produced a development plan for Melbourne’s Sport & Entertainment precinct for Melbourne City Council.
- Project managed preparation of a bid document for the 2006 Commonwealth Games Village development for the Grocon Consortium
- Developed the Southern Lakes Sustainable Tourism Development Strategy across four regions for Tourism New Zealand
- Undertook a strategic review of Queensland’s position on 7 day trading for accredited visitor information centres for Tourism and Events Queensland.
Business Success and Recognition (incl. Awards and Accreditation)
- Developed a Tourism Industry Training Pack with resource materials to support the tourism industry
in becoming ‘China Ready’ (language, culture and visitor expectations) for Tourism and Events Queensland
- Developed visitor safety collateral for use by tourism operators and visitors, for Tourism and Events Queensland
- Developed a risk management planning template for tourism operators, for Tourism and Events Queensland
- Facilitated local tourism authorities’ involvement in Green Globe, for Geelong Otway Tourism
- Facilitated the up-skilling of tourism businesses through a business training and mentoring program for
Tourism and Events Queensland
- Coordinated a multi-agency working group in developing a cooperative management approach to tourism in the
Hauraki Gulf Islands for Auckland City Council
- Developed and implemented an annual visitor survey on customer service and facility expectations for Auckland City Council
- Produced award submissions for Premiers Awards for Excellence, Queensland Tourism Awards and numerous business awards
- Managed the preparation and submission for T-QUAL accreditation for Queensland visitor information centres
Engagement and Strategic Communications
- Engaged with tourism businesses and community stakeholders in gathering insights on service issues and opportunities on the Gold Coast for Queensland Tourism Industry Council, the Queensland Government, City of Gold Coast and Gold Coast Tourism
- Developed communications strategies and engagement processes to maximise outcomes for project stakeholders across various projects
- Developed a discussion paper to encourage public comment on strategic nature tourism development opportunities
at Walkabout Creek for the Department of National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing
- Developed a Visitor Information Centre Operations Manual across three accredited visitor information centres for
Western Downs Regional Council
- Developed an Outback Tourism Opportunities prospectus for the Department of National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing
- Produced the paper ‘Growing Our Destinations – Best Practice Destination Management’ for DestinationQ forum 2014,
based on Duane Knapp’s global destination brand science
- Copy edited the DestinationQ 2012-13 Review for the Department of Tourism, Major Events, Small Business and the Commonwealth Games
- Copy edited the Masterplan for Queensland parks and forests for the Department of National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing
- Developed website copy, factsheets and other information resources to support tourism operators, for Tourism and Events Queensland.
Natural Resource Management
- Coordinated responses to policy proposals on the environmental management of areas impacted by the cruise industry for Tourism New Zealand
- Developed coastal management strategies for the Hauraki Gulf for Auckland City Council
- Developed the Lizard Island marine park management plan for the Queensland Department of Environment and Heritage
- Developed resources to assist tourism operators and other businesses in understanding the Resource Management Act
and the implications for their business, for Tourism New Zealand.
Product Development and Marketing
- Project managed a direct marketing campaign targeting mature travellers to the region for Geelong Otway Tourism
- Facilitated the establishment of a new cross-industry cooperative marketing group (Superyachts NZ) and managed the
strategic and annual marketing planning and plan implementation for Tourism New Zealand
- Produced marketing plans for America’s Cup 2000, Cruise NZ and Superyachts NZ and coordinated implementation for Tourism New Zealand.
- Event planning and management of product launches, promotional events and trade shows for Tourism New Zealand.